Thursday 7 August 2014

500 words: Right here, right now.

It is small. It is smooth. It is round, but it is behind my ear. How to get a look at it? I've tried a mirror, even a selfie but I can't get the angle right. Who am I kidding? I know it will be yet another Basal Cell Carcinoma. How many have I had already? I'm so careful now, now that it is too late. These are reminders of a youth spent in the sun, without a hat, without sleeves, without covering legs! A youth spent covered in freckles, running free, climbing trees, cricket in the street, swinging on a rope out over the river, to fall in, then splutter and swim to the edge, and do it all again.
But now I am older and wiser, and let's face it, a little bit sadder. For many years, I have practiced Thai Chi, and a few years ago added Qigong. I have learned to meditate, do deep breathing exercises, and even sing in a choir. At school, I really enjoyed any sport I could try. Basketball, Hockey, Badminton, Athletics, I tried them all. I even found myself in the Inter-varsity Badminton team, and that turned out to be a way to see Australia, as competition was held in a different University each year. I thought this would keep me fit and healthy.
No! Not so! The world is now a toxic place. The air is full of dust, grit and grime. The water is polluted, chlorinated, home to E Coli, while the earth is poisoned with a range of chemicals that it doesn't bear thinking about.We import poisoned food from overseas and everywhere is fast food, chocolate, 'soft drinks' and alcohol. Trying to find healthy food has become a real challenge. I frequent the Farmer's Markets, I even grow vegetables in pots, and wonder how honest is labelling in the supermarket?
I know that I am very personally responsible for my health. I am responsible for the choices I make. What I choose to eat, to drink, to wear, to do, these decide how healthy I am now, will be in three months or three years


1 comment:

  1. This is a great 3-parter Lorraine: the immediate situation (it is small ...); the background ( for many years); the future (in three months or three years) - and the whole personal story held together within the larger context of environmental degradation.
    Apart from my reflection on the writing here - I do hope the small, smooth, round thing is benign.

    ReplyDelete