Tuesday 19 August 2014

Visit to Bendigo Art Gallery

'Man is the measure of all things
of the existence of what exists
and the non-existence of what does not exist.'
                                  (Protagoras)
We examined several pieces, to then write a short comment of a personal nature.
'The Grotesque Mask' really the face behind the mask, the inner feelings belying the outer exterior.
The professional mask I have worn for half a century which has hidden the pain of loss, abandonment, and betrayal. The huge difficulty of lifting the mask to get help to deal with potentially soul destroying situations. The joy in the discovery of another life, another personality, a new awareness and way of expression; a different path to tread gently, carefully, enjoying the space, the place, the opportunity.

'The Abstract Body' Symbolic portrayal.
My genes don't want to be an identical helix. They are screaming for a sense of individuality. Can't I just be me alone, not playing second fiddle to others! Imprisoned in an accident of birth, even now still trying to escape and discover is there a form that is only me, and be able to do things that only I can do. To become what only I can be, not abstract but unique, a concrete form.

1 comment:

  1. Of course a mask signifies a hidden self but somehow- and I'm kicking myself for this I had never so completely appreciated how hidden and hidden for how long that self, or selves, might be. Thank you for sharing this I hope you keep posting.

    ReplyDelete