Thursday 7 August 2014

Thursday night

Tonight many of us were spellbound listening to some very powerful words from an emotional Jacki French, Australian Children's Laureate. Speaking 'off the cuff' she told a harrowing story of her own dysfunctional childhood and her discovery of Socrates and all his wisdom, when aged seven, all on the anniversary of her sister's murder. She went on to outline just how much children need stories to be read to them, so they can learn to become readers.Then they are away--the power of a story. Jacki outlined the responsibilities of writers--to tell it like it is, so children can work out how to cope in a world full of conflict, violence, sex and drugs. She told how, while working with severely disturbed youth, how so many disadvantaged kids could be helped once they were taught to read. For everyone there is a magic book. A book where you just have to keep on turning the pages.

1 comment:

  1. I felt so fortunate to be there tonight. What a passionate speech Jackie gave, so real and raw and intelligent. I know how powerful writing can be - I've felt it, and I teach it - but her presentation pierced through the cliche to a deeper truth. I'm thinking tonight about the magic books in my life, the books that shook me and lived through me. What a perfect children's laureate she is.

    ReplyDelete